Designed for professional alpinists and serious adventurers, the Pro Bivy delivers quick-pitch protection in cramped spaces too small for a tent. Lightweight to keep up with fast & light missions, whether you’re traversing the rugged Pickets Range or fastpacking the Wonderland Trail, the Pro Bivy features weatherproof, breathable fabric that reduces condensation, and Xtreme Shield™ waterproof coating to help keep you dry and comfortable on your alpine challenge.
- Lightweight: Weighs only .28 kg (10 oz) to support fast traverses and technical alpine routes.
Breathable: Weatherproof, breathable fabric helps reduce condensation to keep you dry and comfortable.
Versatile: Quick-pitch bivy fits in small nooks & crannies too tight for a tent.
Xtreme Shield™ Protection: MSR’s durable waterproof coating lasts up to 3 times longer than standard coatings.
Includes: Bivy, stuff sack.
For long-term storage, keep your tent in a dry and cool area, out of direct sunlight. Store it outside of its stuff sack, as you would a sleeping bag, in a breathable, over-sized cotton or mesh duffel for protection. On the cheap, an old pillowcase is ideal.
- Weather Conditions: High humidity, low temperatures, and rainy conditions create the most condensation.
- People: We produce about 1 - 2 pints of moisture per night through breathing and skin evaporation.
- Wet Environment: Wet ground or wet gear stored inside the tent.
To start, the tent body and ceiling are made of breathable and mesh fabrics. This allows moisture to escape the interior of your tent. However, it must also be able to escape the waterproof fly, and every MSR rainfly has a peak vent that provides protection from the outside, while still allowing essential, free-flowing fresh air to move through your tent. You can also leave a door open in good weather, or take advantage of the double sliders on the doors to vent from the top where warm and moist air tends to accumulate. Make sure to leave at least two vents open if possible, allowing any breeze to provide cross-flow ventilation for maximum circulation. Guying out your rainfly will also increase ventilation in hot or humid conditions.
Video: What causes condensation in a tent
At MSR, we voluntarily follow ASTM International F 1934-98 standards around these two tent industry terms. In accordance with this standard, packaged weight includes the total weight of the packaged contents off the shelf. Minimum weight, by comparison, refers to the combined weight of the tent body, rainfly (if applicable) and tent poles, but not any of the other items that may appear in the package, such as tent stakes, guy cords, stuff sack, etc.
Many MSR backpacking tents can be pitched using only the rainfly, poles and footprint, and in our tent specs we call this non-industry standard setup option our Fast & Light weight.
To learn more about packaged weight vs. minimum, and the manufacturing processes that can affect them, check out our blog post on the topic.
Here are a few reasons for those weight variances:
- Coating variances: The thickness in coatings on tent fabric can vary a bit from one tent to another. Fabrics are produced in batches and called “lots,” and there can be a slight weight difference between lots as well as within lots.
- Fabric variances: Because tent fabric is hand cut in up to 200 layers at once, some pieces may be cut just outside the line, making certain parts slightly larger and thus heavier.
- Scale accuracy: At MSR, weights are determined using our calibrated lab scales, which are more accurate than normal household scales.
- Added products: Brands may decide at the last minute to include more stakes or guy cords, which will add to the packaged weight.
We Believe in What We Build
We know that in the backcountry, reliable gear is critical. That’s why MSR gear has always been engineered to the highest quality standards and rigorously tested before it reaches you.
Seattle Repair Shop
If your MSR gear is in need of repair, our technicians will work to find you a solution as quickly as possible. A majority of the time, MSR products can be repaired.
If you are experiencing an issue that you feel falls under the MSR Limited Warranty, we’re here to help with that too. Please contact our team to get started.